Elmer the Patchwork Elephant
An all time favourite picture book series with a philosophical message
“It’s ok to be different”
Elmer remains one of the most iconic and widely read children’s book series of all time, selling over 10 million copies worldwide since it was first published by Andersen Press in 1989.
Published in over 50 languages and aimed at children aged 0-6 years, his message of diversity, difference and happiness has never been more relevant than it is today.
The Elmer publishing program comprises 28 Picture Books and 14 Novelty formats.
- Targetgroup: baby and infant (0-3) | Pre-School (3-6)
Elmer copyright: ©David McKee 2020
Funny, friendly and philosophical Elmer is the ambassador of friendship and celebrating differences.
The Elmer collection (some examples):
Elmer and the Whales
Elmer and Butterfly
Elmer and Rose
Elmer and the Stranger
Elmer and Wilbur
- More than 10 million books sold worldwide
- Translated in over 50 languages
- International brand with a diverse licensing program and an important message
- Timeless designs:
David McKee, the author of Elmer, was inspired by the artwork of Paul Klee when illustrating Elmer
Elmer is the ambassador of friendship and celebrating difference. Embrace your own true colours and stand out from the herd with Elmer.”
“Elmer supports tolerance and diversity while remaining friendly and funny”
Brand Cooperations and Activities
- Elmer Day, annual celebration of Elmer in schools, nurseries, bookshops and libraries – more information: www.elmerday.co.uk
- Elmer’s Big Art Parades, family art trails for charities, decorated Elmer sculptures around a town or city, trails available globally – more information: https://elmersbigartparades.co.uk/
- Elmer’s Flying Jumbos, the first ever theme park ride based on Elmer at Chessington World of Adventures Resort – more information: https://www.chessington.com/explore/theme-park-zoo/rides-attractions/elmer-s-flying-jumbos
- Elmer is the face of ‘Friendship Friday’ with anti-bullying charity Kidscape – more information: https://www.kidscape.org.uk/news/2018/october/elmer-the-patchwork-elephant-to-become-kidscape-s-friendship-friday-ambassador-in-2019/
- Elmer the Show, theatre show touring theatres world-wide, more information: https://www.elmertheshow.com/
- Elmer and Friends exhibition, from Seven Stories – more information: https://www.sevenstories.org.uk/exhibitions/touring-exhibitions/elmer – More information on Elmer: www.elmer.co.uk
Extensive international licensing program
Publisher Germany: Thienemann Verlag
The creator of Elmer has won the prestigious BookTrust Lifetime Achievement Award, which celebrates the body of work for an author and/or illustrator who has made an outstanding contribution to children’s literature.
• Product categories covering toys, games, puzzles, apparel, accessories, homeware, costumes.